Wednesday 1 May 2013

Greaseproof paper VS parchment paper.

Last month, I had quite a major issue. Not with recipes or ingredients but with my equipment.

For around 3 years I have been using my old, (and I mean it could be older than me) trusty parchment paper from Waitrose. But all good things come to and end and it was time for me to move on to a new roll. I went down to Waitrose and picked up their essential range greaseproof paper, not parchment paper - I had no idea that there was a difference!
Greaseproof paper - for wrapping food
Throughout the month of April I was making all my usual recipes: flapjacks; macaroons; cakes and using my greaseproof paper exactly how I used my parchment paper. They all had one problem in common, the bottom of all of my baked goods was sticking to the greaseproof paper. It was absolute nightmare! I must've spent hours chiselling it off - especially around the corners - and in the end I threw a lot of my food away. I was getting so infuriated that I turned to the internet, the location of answers to all problems. At first, I thought there might be a default with the greaseproof paper but I was soon to be corrected. 

Greaseproof paper is different to baking parchment.

After unnecessarily extensive research into when you should use each type of paper I think I understand, finally. Greaseproof paper has a wax coating and so when it it put in the oven, the wax melts and the paper becomes ineffective. Its beneficial attribute is that it's water-resistant and does not allow water to permeate through it, be it from outside or inside. This makes it ideal for wrapping food, not to stop cakes/biscuits sticking to the tin in the oven. Parchment paper has all the same properties except the fact that is also treated with an acid when it is produced which makes it very heat resistant. Therefore, its coating does not begin to melt whilst in the oven and it continue to serve its non-stick purpose!
Parchment paper - for baking food
So don't go thinking you can just get away with using greaseproof paper, as it can set fire in the oven! I hope this will make you think twice before choosing what type of paper you buy/use to line your baking tins, I know I will be!

Enjoy!
Cakesfordorothy xoxo


Follow me on bloglovin' to find out when I post new recipes!

5 comments:

Suelle said...

Greaseproof paper can be used for cooking (after all, it's what we all used before baking parchment was invented) but it has to be removed from the cake or traybake while it is still warm.

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!! I wondered why my flapjacks were sticking to my trusty greaseproof paper...now I know :-)

Janina Woodley said...

Thank-you Emma for your worthwhile research. I am enlightened! My instincts have proved me right by choosing parchment instead of greaseproof.

Unknown said...

Never had a problem with grease proof paper as long as coated with melted butter and put in the fridge for 20 minutes or so.I use it for italian cheese based torta and panettone and it peels off cleanly and easily.

Mose Kellogg said...

Very Informative content on Parchment Paper Thank you for the article!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly